Ellsworth, Maine: Geo. N. Colby, 1881. Half Bound Leather. Folio. 96pp; atlas restored, half black calf with beige cloth over board, frame with contemporary binding and gilt stamped title; new endpapers; restored title page; hand-colored maps: 23 full page maps, some with multiple maps on one page and 16 double page maps; one page with a double ad; scattered foxing, stains on some pages to bottom and edge, not entering the neat line, hand soiling to some pages; very good in restored condition, see description of restoration.
This atlas has been professionally restored by Julie Stackpole (Thomaston, Maine). Original cloth front board with gilt stamped title has been inserted in a frame on a new binding of half-black calf and beige cloth; new side-stabbed binding new endpapers with navy cloth hinges; folded maps tipped to paper hinges. Tears to title page and small tears to text were repaired with Japanese tissue. Very good. Item #139
Restoration on this atlas was undertaken because of its scarcity and good condition of the maps. One full page with two half page ads, includes one for East Maine Conference Seminary in Bucksport (established by the Methodist Church) which advertised it as a “school for both sexes”, and one for Boston Clothing Store in Ellsworth. The last five pages are the subscriber’s “Patron’s Business References”. The atlas gives wonderful details for the towns in Hancock County, including the names of building owners.