London: Printed by John Nichols for David Henry and sold by Eliz. Newberry, the corner of St. Pauls' Church-yard, Ludgate-Street, 1787. [PERIODICAL] [HISTORY]. First edition. 8vo; , 554-1200pp +  Index; quarter-bound brown calf with marbled boards; bookplate on front pastedown, “The Property of the Light House Establishment,” now the U.S. Lighthouse Service, pasted over an older bookplate; 13 bound-in illustrated plates, all present but some bound in a different order than indicated in the index; period binding worn, front joint cracked and fragile but holding; chipping of spine, last page has tears but is complete, a few first pages with damp staining but no odors, interior bright; very good minus. Very good. Item #1458
The Gentleman’s Magazine was founded in London in 1731 by Edward Cave and was published monthly for almost 200 years, until 1922. This volume of bound periodicals includes in the November magazine issue an early publishing of the “New Constitution of the United States of America” was created in Philadelphia on September 17, 1787 and not ratified until June 21, 1788.