[Boston]: Boston Cyclorama Company, proprietors, 1886. Wraps. [HISTORY] [CIVIL WAR]. Cover title: Price Ten Cents, Gettysburg.
8vo; pp + fold-out map and map of the Battle; yellow wrapper, pictorial front and ad to rear; 2 staple binding; chipping to edges, crease to rear, 3” separation at foot of spine fold on rear; interior clean and maps intact; very good plus. Very good +. Item #1483
The Boston Cyclorama Company was located at 541 Tremont Street, between Berkeley and Clarendon Streets. Built in 1884 to house the Battle of Gettysburg exhibit, it was the second largest dome building in the country, after the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit opened on December 22, 1884 and closed on January 1, 1889. The painting by Paul Philippoteaux exhibited in the building featured an artistic representation of the action on July 3, 1863 which became known as the Charge of Pickett.
The fold-out map lacks a title but contains the key to touring the cyclorama, with 57 points of interest labeled in the center of a circular illustration of the exhibit.
The program includes summaries of the battles and engraved portraits of Abraham Lincoln, Generals Meade, Hancock, Howard, and Sickles, Reynolds, Longstreet, Armistead, Pickett, Lee, Pender, Garnett, as well as of the artist. It also lists a Roster of the Federal Army and Organization of the Army of Northern Virginia on June 1, 1863.