Newburyport [Massachusetts]: William H. Huse & Co., Printers, 1875. String. 12mo; 60pp; map attached to title page; lacks a wrapper the 60pp are string bound; light soiling to title page and page 60, two spots on page 37; very good. 9 holdings in WorldCat.
Map: Map of Mining Lands at Newbury and Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts, Boston: The Hatch Litho Co., 1875. 19 ¼” x 22 5/8” paper size; 17 ¾” x 22 3/8” within the neat lines. 2” closed tear in upper left edge where attached to title page; very good. Very good. Item #161
While the booklet is a detailed report on the silver and lead mines of the area, the map is so much more and gives an interesting and detailed look at the communities of Newbury and Newburyport in 1875. Included are land plats with ownership, points of interest including train depots, ice houses, farms, factories, churches, mills, schools, burying places, a mining station, meeting houses, a hotel, a brickyard, the town green and two lighthouses. Two railroad lines are pictured: the Boston and Maine line and the Eastern Rail Road line. There are interesting geographical areas identified, including: Devil’s Den, Hump Sands, Newbury Flats and Salisbury Beach; several islands: Carrs Island, Seal Island and Woodbridge Island and 10 creeks and rivers: Artichoke R., Cart Cr., Great Pine Island Cr., Little River, Little Pine Island Cr., Mud Creek, Parker R., Plum Bush Cr., Plum Island R., and the Merrimac River. Also identified is the Atlantic Ocean.