[Washington D.C.]: [U.S. Coast Survey], 1879. 20 1/8'' x 13'' within the neat line; pin holes to all four corners to attach to lithographic stone; original fold lines as issued; delicately hand-colored in green with roads and neat line in yellow, and lighthouses shown in orange; fine. Rare in color. Fine. Item #415
Finely done lithograph on bond paper, includes a scale of nautical miles with notes on buoys and soundings. Detail on the land masses include some buildings, roads, fields and forests. In the town of South Thomaston, identification of "White Spire" presumably refers to what is now called the People's United Methodist Church. Between 1860 and 1870, the population in the town of South Thomaston swelled to over 1700 residents.