1883-1884 Annual Report of the Directors to the Stockholders of the Knox & Lincoln Railroad Company, for the Year Ending September 30, 1884

Bath, [Maine]: E. Upton & Son, 1884. First Edition. Wraps. 8vo; [1-5] 6-24pp; grey wrappers with the title printed within a double black border and a small wood-engraving of a train; brown spot to back wrapper, bump to bottom tail of spine, light vertical crease through booklet; near fine. Rare; not recorded. Near fine. Item #97

The Knox & Lincoln Railroad was a short-lived rail system extending from Brunswick to Rockland, Maine. Service was offered starting in 1871 although the company existed and initially offered bonds in 1869. Service ended in 1891when it was leased by Maine Central Railroad. This annual report is the Sixteenth Annual Report. Discussion in this report includes the replacement of 13 year old iron rails with ones made of steel, replacement of the ballast for the track and the repairs of the ferry over the Kennebec River at Bath which the train used in its crossing before the bridge was built. Interesting tables are included on Earnings, Expenses, Passengers transported in 12 months and Freight in Tons transported. Also discussed is the acquisition of new trains and operating expenses in relation to gross earnings. One curious and humorous report is on the condition and maintenance of the rail’s buildings which states “The depot buildings at Newcastle and Waldoboro have been painted. As all of the others were painted the year before they are now in good order and present a neat and tasty appearance.” One presumes they meant “tidy appearance” and this is a typo! Additionally, is given the accident report of one of the brakemen who “slipped from a car in Rockland yard and his leg was broken. He will recover.” As a side note, Henry Knox’s mansion, Montpelier, located in Thomaston, Maine was torn down to make way for the railroad. Knox was a Revolutionary War hero and the nation’s first Secretary of War.

Price: $225.00